Emergency Backup Freezers
Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) Freezer Failure Emergency Protocol
CUMC has obtained eight, -80C upright, shelved freezers that are available for the research community to use during a freezer failure while their freezer is being repaired or replaced. Five freezers will be added to the contingency freezer inventory for the P&S and Black Buildings. These freezers are alarmed using a remote wireless environmental monitoring system administered by CU Facilities, specifically, Yvonne Wojcicki, Executive Director of Campus Life Safety & Regulatory Compliance. This system tracks freezer temperature and will alert CU Facilities immediately of increased temperatures. The freezers are located in secured (card reader controlled) rooms.
- Russ Berrie Medical Science Pavilion, Sub-Cellar SC11 (2 units)
- Hammer Health Sciences Center Lower Level, Room 212D (3 units)
- Irving Cancer Research Center Garage Level 3, near Stairwell A (3 units)
- Black & P&S, locations TBD (5 units)
- Only one contingency freezer may be used at one time per lab with the understanding that a freezer may be shared with another lab.
- A lab may not move or relocate samples from any freezer belonging to another lab.
- Hazardous materials (e.g. radioactive samples) may not be stored in any contingency freezer.
- A freezer may be used for one month while the lab’s failed freezer is repaired or replaced. After one month, the department will be charged for use.
- The lab staff is responsible for packing, labeling, and transporting materials to the freezer.
- The lab manager or other CU lab staff will work with Facilities for the duration of use.
In the event of a freezer failure:
- Contact CU Facilities Compliance to request access to a backup freezer at 212-305-8100 via Public Safety. Provide the name, UNI, and contact number of the lab manager responsible and the location of the failed freezer.
- Follow-up the call with an email (24/7) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The lab manager’s ID badge will be activated for access to the backup freezer location.
- Contact email@example.com when the lab no longer needs use of the backup freezer; provide sufficient lead time for emptying backup freezer of contents.
If you have any difficulty with access, please notify the P&S Office for Research by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.