K Award Program for On-time Proposal Preparation (K-POPP)
The NIH Career Development (K) Award Program for On-time Proposal Preparation (K-POPP), formally known as K Club, is designed to provide practical resources (i.e. checklists, timelines, helpdesk etc.) to ensure applicants are staying on target to meet the submission deadline. K-POPP will provide direction and strategy for assembling the application and will guide the applicant in collaborating with their mentors to develop the career development plan and research strategy.
How to Apply:
Interested VP&S junior faculty members or postdoctoral scientists/resesearch associate scientists must apply in order to partcipate. Sign-up for the February 2020 K-POPP is now closed. Sign-up for the June 2020 K-POPP will open at the end of February/beginning of March.
Dates for the February 2020 K-POPP:
- Session 1: Specific Aims Workshop (hosted by the CUIMC Office of Faculty Affairs and the Irving Institute)
- Date: Thursday, November 7th from 12:00 - 1:30 pm
- Session 2: Intro to the K Award
- Date: Monday, December 2nd or Thursday, December 5th from 12:00 - 1:00 pm
- Session 3: Candidate Section and Research Strategy
- Date: Monday, January 6th or Thursday 9th from 12:00 - 1:00 pm
- Session 4: All other components of the K Award
- Date: Monday, January 13th or Thursday, January 16th from 12:00 - 1:00 pm
- Session 5: NIH Rigor and Reproducibility Webinar (hosted by the EVPR Office of Research Training & Compliance and Sponsored Projects Administration)
- Date: TBD (mid-January)
Participants will be able to understand the components of a NIH Career Development Award and the key elements that compose a strong application. At the end of the program, all applicants will be equipped to submit a complete application to the NIH institute of their choice.
K-POPP consists of five sessions and each session will focus on a different aspect of the grant. Sessions 2-4 are open discussion, small group format with two dates offered for each session and participants may attend either the Monday or Thursday session. Participants will have the opportunity to share documents with the instructors for review and to set-up individual meetings as needed. Sessions 1 and 5 involve a larger audiance and are hosted in collaboration with other offices on campus but K-POPP instructors will be avaliable for questions throughout these sessions.
- For the February 12th/March 12th deadlines, sign-up is at the end of October with the first session typically held the last week of November.
- For the June 12th/July 12th deadlines, sign-up is at the beginning of March with the first session typically held the first week of April.
- For the October 12th/November 12th deadlines, sign-up is at the end of June with the first session typically held the last week of July.
Please refer to the VP&S Office for Research Grant Starter Kit for checklists, templates, examples, and helpful links.
Questions about K-POPP? Email the VP&S Office for Research.