Guidance for Conducting Faculty Reviews at VP&S
In order to provide faculty with mentoring and regular feedback, a proposal for a new school-wide policy that would systematize the process of faculty reviews was developed. This policy was reviewed and vetted by several broadly representative faculty committees and was adopted after an affirmative vote by the VP&S Faculty Council.
Departments should provide a faculty review focused on professional development and academic advancement:
- An annual review for assistant professors, including one at year 4 or 5 focused on academic advancement
- A review every other year for faculty at the associate professor rank
- A review every 5 years for faculty at full professor rank
To facilitate this policy, CUIMC faculty will use the Faculty 180 tool, an activity reporting and evaluation database system owned by Interfolio. Faculty enter their academic activities into the tool, such as scholarship, teaching, service activities, clinical responsibilities and so on. The information entered into database will be used during annual faculty reviews. Faculty can also use this tool to generate CVs and biosketches.
Please consult your department/academic unit to discuss internal processes and expectations for faculty feedback meetings.
Resources for Faculty
Below are links to training videos designed to provide a quick introduction to the Faculty 180 activity tool. The videos provide a useful overview of the platform as well as more detailed information on how to enter various scholarly activities. In addition, these videos highlight important administrative tasks that are critical to optimal Faculty 180 tool implementation.
- Profile Form Overview and Updating a section (Work Experience)
- Activities Form Overview and updating a section (Education)
- Adding Scholarship (Manually, Via PubMed)
Resources for Academic Units
- Columbia University Irving Medial Center Faculty 180 training video
- Interfolio Faculty 180 training webinar
Additional Training Videos
- Account access
- Initiating an input period
- Approving an input period
- Pulling a scholarly activities report
- Creating new vitas
Other Helpful Resources
Questions or feedback? Contact the Office of Academic Affairs.