Student Honor Code
This Honor Code delineates the standards that the Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons (VP&S) deems essential to ensure its medical students’ qualification for the practice of medicine. The standards are further delineated in the Standards for Professionalism for VP&S Students. By signing the VP&S Student Honor Code, our students agree to abide by all components. Although violations of the Honor Code often represent a lack of awareness or understanding, they may lead to disciplinary action.
"As student doctors, we have committed ourselves to a lifetime of collaborative service to our patients and to our communities. As representatives of both Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons and the medical profession, we commit ourselves to the highest standards of moral conduct.
- I will demonstrate honesty and integrity in all aspects of my education.
- I will act respectfully and ethically in my interactions with patients, staff, faculty, residents, and peers.
- I commit myself to knowing, understanding, and preserving professional ethics.
- I will not cheat, plagiarize, use unauthorized materials, misrepresent my work, falsify data, or assist others in the commission of these acts.
- I will not purposefully mislead others.
- I acknowledge that while in public I represent the medical profession and Columbia University and the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons and will comport myself responsibly.
By acting with honesty, integrity, fairness, and respect for others, we foster a community built on trust and enable the free exchange of ideas. Behavior that deviates from these principles jeopardizes this achievement, and, in some circumstances, patient safety. As such, I understand it is my personal responsibility to confront and report such behavior through one of the designated mechanisms for reporting described in Honor Committee Procedure.
On my honor, as a lifelong member of Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, I will adhere to the VP&S Student Honor Code delineated above."
Download the VP&S Student Honor Code with Student Signature (PDF).