Health and Wellness
There’s no doubt that medical school can be stressful. The caring community at Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) offers many health and wellness resources to help students work through their challenges and thrive in the classroom, clinic, and their personal lives.
Student Health Service
The Student Health Service at CUMC provides a full range of primary care medical services, mental health services, and health promotion and wellness services. Our clinical staff has physicians, a nurse practitioner, nurses, medical assistants, psychiatrists, psychologists and health educators. We aspire to model the quality of care we hope our medical students will provide to patients throughout their careers.
The following divisions are part of the Student Health Service:
- Medical Services
- Mental Health Services
- Center for Student Wellness
- AIMS (Addiction Information and Management Strategies)
- Insurance and Administration
Recreation and Athletic Facilities
Physical fitness is important to emotional and mental wellness and there are places on or near CUMC for medical students to use, including:
- Bard Athletic Center at CUMC has a 20-yard swimming pool, two levels of new cardio equipment, one squash court, a gymnasium, an aerobics/multi-purpose exercise room, lockers, showers, and saunas. The facility is handicapped accessible. Read more about Bard Athletic Center.
- Dodge Fitness Center at Columbia's Morningside campus has two full-size gyms, two swimming pools, 17 squash and handball courts, a fully-equipped exercise and weight room, judo-karate room, fencing room, wrestling room, indoor track, and two saunas. CUMC students may access this facility for an annual fee. Read more about Dodge Fitness Center.
- Baker Athletics Complex at the northern tip of Manhattan at 218th Street and Broadway is Columbia’s main outdoor athletics facility where the Lions compete. It has a football field and stadium, a baseball field, soccer field, running track, seven tennis courts, and several practice fields. Read more about Baker Athletics Complex.
Columbia's Ombuds Officers are confidential and neutral complaint-handlers, serving all campuses. They seek fair and equitable solutions to various problems through informal processes and are available to the entire Columbia University community: students, faculty, and employees. For more information, visit the Ombuds Office website.