Genetic Counseling

Renewing your Financial Aid

Please follow the steps below to determine what materials need to be completed.​​​

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

  • To apply for federal student aid, you must complete a FAFSA form with you and your spouse's information (FAFSA Code: 002707)
  • Federal student aid includes Direct Unsubsidized Stafford, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS, and/or Federal Work-Study.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident in order to complete a FAFSA. The FAFSA became available October 1, 2019.

Interschool Scholarships

 A number of scholarships are awarded directly by the University and are available to students who meet specific criteria. If you meet any of the specific criteria listed on the memo, please write to our office no later than June 1, 2020, explaining how you qualify.  Once the link to the Interschool Fellowship Application is live, you should also complete it.  You will need your Columbia UNI to apply.

Additional Information

  • Reduction of Loans by External Scholarships - Recipients of either externally-awarded scholarships or loans are obligated to notify their Financial Aid Officer. You will be granted a dollar for dollar substitution of the financial aid in the standard package in an amount equal to the "external" award in the following order: Alternative loans, if taken, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS, and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford.
  • Students interested in a Federal Work-Study award should contact us further information.
  • Rents that exceed our average budgets may be approved for extra borrowing BUT only to a maximum of $1,400 a month. The Rent Adjustment Form and a copy of your lease will be required before any adjustment to your budget is made. Check with your Financial Aid Officer before committing to additional housing expenses that you cannot cover with personal funds.
  • For non-Columbia housing, we may be able to approve brokers’ fees and rent which is higher than in our standard budget. Potentially refundable deposits cannot be covered.
  • If you take the CUIMC Medical Insurance, your budget will be increased by the amount of the premium and your financial aid package will be adjusted accordingly.
  • Please do not hesitate to call our office if you have any questions, or make an appointment to see your Financial Aid Officer, if you have special circumstances or changes you would like to discuss in person.
  • Your second year will consist of 3 terms – summer, fall and spring and your financial aid will be disbursed by term.