SPHSP Application, Eligibility and Selection
The 2020 application is now closed. All applicants will be notified of their interiew status in the first week of March.
Also, follow us on social media for applicaton updates.
Facebook: Sphsp Columbia
Note: Due to internet security settings some users report being unable to access the website. If this occurs you may need to access the application from a different computer.
- U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, or U.S. National
- Students who will have completed at least two years of college at an accredited institution by the beginning of the program: Rising juniors and seniors
- Recent college graduates (after April 2019) who have not been accepted into a graduate program
- Students with an Associate degree must provide proof of acceptance into a four-year institution
- Minimum GPA of 2.7
- African American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, people with disabilities, economically disadvantaged, and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Letter of Recommendation - to be submitted by an academic advisor or course instructor. Only one letter will be accepted and reviewed. The recommendation provider is asked to comment on the applicant's academic/professional potential, commitment to equity, interdisciplinary thinking and/or potential in the field of public health.
- Resume or Curriculum Vita
- Unofficial Transcript(s) - to be submitted for any college/university attended. Please note that Official Transcript(s) are only required from students who are offered acceptance to the program
- IRS 1040 or 1040A form from parent/guardian(s) - only required for students identifying as 'low-income'.
- Only complete applications are reviewed. "Complete" refers to submission of all required documents as well as completion of all fields of the online application.
- Once the application deadline has passed, a team of reviewers will begin review of all complete applications.
- The top 100 candidates are selected for a phone interview. No in-person interviews will be conducted.
- Based on the candidate's application and phone interview, 42 students will ultimately be selected to participate in the 2020 program.
Application Opens: November 1, 2019, @12 AM EST
Application Deadline: January 31, 2020, @11:59 PM EST
Phone Interview Notifications: March 5,2020
Phone Interviews: March 9-13, 2020
Admission Notifications: March 20,2020
2019 Program Dates: May 26, 2020- July 29, 2020