SHPEP Eligibility & How to Apply
To be eligible for SHPEP, program applicants must:
- Be a freshman or sophomore undergraduate student OR a community college student at the time of application
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Be a U.S. citizen, a Permanent Resident, or an individual granted deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Not a previous participant in the program
Other factors for consideration include that a student:
- Identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in the health professions; comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background; and/or has demonstrated an interest in issues affecting underserved populations
- Submits a compelling personal statement and a strong letter of recommendation
How to Apply
The SHPEP application is currently available for the 2018 program cycle and may be accessed by visiting the program site at www.shpep.org. If interested in participating in SHPEP at CUMC, please be sure to select Columbia as one of your site choices when prompted. Application deadline is February 15th, 2018.
All applications go through the national website and are then funneled to the individual program sites. If you have questions about the application, contact the SHPEP National site directly. If you have questions about the SHPEP program at Columbia University, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-305-4157.
2018 Program Dates: June 15, 2018 - July 27, 2018