Daniel Geller, EdD, MPH, OTR/L
EdD, Movement Science with a specialization in Occupational Therapy, Teachers College, Columbia University
MS, Occupational Therapy, Columbia University
MPH, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University
BA, Biology, Kenyon College
- Motor Learning and Control
- Adult Physical Disabilities
- Physical Disabilities I & II
- Clinical Conditions II: Physical Conditions
- Dissertation: Home Mirror Therapy: A Randomized Controlled Study Comparing Unimanual and Bimanual Mirror Therapy for Improved Hand Function Post-Stroke
- Stroke Rehabilitation to improve functional performance (special interest in mirror therapy, alternate hand training, motor learning and control)
- Interprofessional collaboration (special interest in Music Therapy and OT)
- Teachers College 125th Anniversary Award, 2014-2015
Professional Awards, Recognitions, Activities
- Dual Degree Liaison between OT program and the Mailman School of Public Health for MS/MPH program
- Member of American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
- Member of American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine (ACRM)
- Member of the New York City Stroke Group
- Presenter at AOTA National Conferences and ACRM Annual Conferences
- Presenter at Center for Health Equity and Community Engagement Research Conference, 2013
Peer-Reviewed Research Publications in Print or Other Media
- Raghavan, P., Aluru, V., Milani, S., Thai, P., Geller, D., Bilaloglu, S., Lu, Y. & Weisz, J. (2017). Coupled bimanual training using a non-powered device for individuals with severe hemiparesis: a pilot study. International Journal of Physical Medicine Rehabilitation, 5, 1-20. doi:10.4172/2329-9096.1000404
- Raghavan, P., Geller, D., Guerrero, N., Aluru, V., Eimicke, J., Teresi, J. Ogedegbe, G., Palumbo, A., & Turry, A. (2016). Music upper limb therapy-integrated: an enriched collaborative approach for stroke rehabilitation. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 10, 1-12.
- Bilaloglu, S., Lu, Y., Geller, D., Rizzo, J.R., Aluru, V., Gardner, E.P., & Raghavan, P. (2016). Effect of blocking tactile information from the fingertips on adaptation and execution of grip forces to friction at the grasping surface. Journal of Neurophysiology, 115(3), 1122-1131.DOI: 10.1152/jn.00639.2015
- Van Lew, S., Geller, D., Feld-Glazman, R., Capasso, N., Dicembri, A., & Pinto Zipp, G. (2015). Brief Report—Development and preliminary reliability of the Functional Upper Extremity Levels (FUEL). American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 69, 6906350010. http://dx.doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2015.016006
- Nilsen, D. M., Gillen, G., Geller, D., Hreha, K., Osei, E., & Saleem, G. (2015). Effectiveness of interventions to improve occupational performance for those with motor impairments after stroke. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 6901180030p1-p9
- Nilsen, D. M., Gillen, G., Geller, D., Hreha, K., Osei, E., & Saleem, G. (2014). What is the evidence for the effectiveness of interventions to improve occupational performance for those with motor deficits after stroke? [Critically Appraised Topic]. Bethesda, MD: American Occupational Therapy Association, Evidence-Based Practice Project. Available online here.
- Guerrero, N., Turry, A., Geller, D., & Raghavan, P. (2014). From Historic to contemporary: Nordoff-Robbins music therapy in collaborative interdisciplinary rehabilitation. Music Therapy Perspectives, 32, (1) 1-9.
- Geller, D. & Nilsen, D. (2015). The Role of Occupational Therapy in Stroke Rehabilitation. AOTA Fact sheet. Bethesda, MD: American Occupational Therapy Association.
- Geller, D., Nilsen, D., Van Lew, S., Gillen, G., & Bernardo, M. (2016). Home Mirror Therapy: A randomized controlled pilot study comparing unimanual and bimanual mirror therapy for improved upper limb function post-stroke. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 90, e4
- Geller, D., Nilsen, D., Gillen, G., Van Lew, S., & Bernardo, M (2016). A randomized controlled comparative effectiveness pilot study on unimanual and bimanual mirror therapy as a home program. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 70, 7011515275p1. Doi:10.5014/ajot.2016.7OS1-PO5128