3-2 Personnel Action Form (PAF) Nomination for Rehire
A rehire is defined as an officer of instruction or research or student officer who was previously employed by the University and is returning to work at the University. Departments may rehire officers who were previously employed by Columbia University and the transactions are processed as rehires, not new hires. The rehire transaction also applies in the case of an officer moving from full-time to part-time.
If an officer is terminated due to the department’s failure to submit the renewal transaction in a timely manner, a PAF is used to transact the rehire.
Department submits the following:
- Letter from chair to Dean recommending that the rehire be approved and including the rehire date and title
- Officer’s CV in COAP format
- Officer’s letter of resignation if going from full-time to part-time status
- PAF reflecting action/reason code REH/CNW except:
- When going from full-time to part-time status, TER/[reason code] and then REH/CNW
- When a Columbia employee position is changed from a non-academic (e.g., Tech B) to an academic position, then REH/REH
- The OFA Representative reviews the request and obtains the OFA Director’s approval.
- OFA approves and submits the PAF to CUIMC Payroll, if salaried, or directly to HRPC, if zero-salaried.