4-2 Exemption from Teaching Duties (ETD) Leave
Exemptions from Teaching Duties (ETD) are granted only to officers of instruction in a professorial rank, excluding those with a visiting title, for periods during which a professor is receiving salary from the University but is excused, in full or in part, from teaching and other responsibilities. If the OOI is on the tenure track, the tenure clock stops during the time of the leave, which extends the up-or-out date (see Section 4-9).
Department submits the following:
- Letter from officer to chair requesting the ETD and including the purpose and planned activities, as well as start and end dates
- Letter from chair to Dean requesting the ETD for the officer and including start and end dates and reason for the request (see CUIMC Exemption from Teaching Duties Request Letter Template)
- Officer’s CV, using the COAP format as a guideline
- Upon receipt of the Office of the Provost approval, a PAF reflecting action/reason code PLA/EXM
- The OFA Representative reviews the request and submits it to the SVP for approval.
- The SVP reviews and, if acceptable, signs the request.
- OFA submits the SVP’s signed request to the Office of the Provost indicating that the ETD has the Dean’s approval.
- The Office of the Provost sends an approval letter to OFA (and copied to others).
- OFA sends a copy of the letter to the department faculty affairs contact for their records.
- Upon receipt of the Office of the Provost approval, the department submits a PAF and attaches the letter of approval from the Office of the Provost.
- OFA approves and submits the PAF and Provost approval letter to CUIMC Payroll, if salaried, or directly to HRPC, if zero-salaried.