Vanneck-Bailey Scholars Program
Vanneck-Bailey Scholars Program 2021
The Vagelos Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons is proud to accept nominations for the Vanneck-Bailey Scholars Program, now in its sixth granting year. The award is conferred on a VP&S faculty member who will create and develop new educational programs for medical students that will “ensure that VP&S students are among the finest physicians entering the profession, skilled in the knowledge and practice of medicine and modeling compassionate, humanistic care to all patients.” This $40,000 amount is to be committed to salary and fringe support to give the Scholar protected academic time for accomplishing the project. Applications are due by Friday, January 15, 2021.
Nominations must include:
- Statement of the proposed project: The proposed project must be directly related to undergraduate medical education at VP&S. It must be a project that will have a significant, demonstrable impact on medical student education. The statement must include background information about the project with at least three references, proposed methodology, plan for implementation, timeline, and proposed methods for evaluation (2 – 4 pages in length).
- Personal statement: The personal statement should outline the nominee’s credentials as a medical educator and scholar, including the nominee’s track record of completed scholarly projects and his/her career trajectory in medical education. The statement must also indicate the nominee’s willingness to report on the project to the Apgar Academy members and guests at the end of the year in the Vanneck-Bailey Presentation (2 – 3 pages in length).
- Letter of nomination from the department chair: In addition to information about the nominee’s credentials, this letter must indicate that, if selected, the nominee would have protected time for the project and would use the salary support for this purpose.
- Letter from Vice Dean of Education, Associate Dean for Curriculum, course director, or clerkship director indicating that the project has been approved for inclusion in the curriculum if the project would result in a course for VP&S students.
- Nominee’s current CV – please use enhanced CV template to outline all educational activities.
The Vanneck-Bailey Scholars Program is executed and administered by the Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators and, as such, Vanneck-Bailey Scholars will be able to approach Academy members as mentors. The chair and members of the selection committee will be Academy members as potential mentors. One Vanneck-Bailey Scholar will be chosen per academic year. Deadline for applications is Friday, January 15, 2021. Please contact Renee Russas (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Previous Vanneck - Bailey Scholars
2020-2021:Dr. Devon Rupley
Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Proposal: Ready for MCY: An Intensive Transitions Curriculum Facilitating Professional Identity Formation
2019-2020: Dr. Sidney Hankerson
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Proposal: Teaching Social Determinants of Health and Mental Health First Aid to Medical Students
2017-2018: Dr. Anne Armstrong-Coben
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at CUIMC, NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia
Proposal: An Advisory Dean Curriculum Spanning the Four Years at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons: Helping students develop into compassionate, humanistic physicians
2016-2017: Dr. Hetty Cunningham (inaugural scholar)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics at CUIMC, NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia
Proposal: Promoting reflective capacity in the P&S portfolio to support professional identity formulation in a medical education landscape increasingly focused on competency achievement