Becoming a Member
Becoming a member of the Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators signals your
- Excellence as a medical educator at P&S
- Willingness to actively participate in the life of the Academy and the community of educators at P&S
Selection to the Academy is competitive and criterion based. Applications will be reviewed by a panel of senior Apgar Academy members. Applicants must have been on the P&S faculty for at least five years and must demonstrate:
- Excellence in at least 2 areas of medical education, as outlined in attached criteria
- Commitment to active participation in the Academy, as outlined in “responsibilities of members”
Application Materials and Instructions
- An enhanced CV, designed to highlight activities related to medical education (please see instructions on compiling the cv in the accompanying document entitled "Welcome, Apgar Applicants").
- A letter of nomination from your chair, program director, or someone who you feel can describe your accomplishments in medical education
- A 1-page cover letter that highlights your accomplishments in the two areas of medical education in which you are demonstrating excellence—this should guide reviewers through your enhanced CV
- A 1-page personal statement about how you would like to participate in the work of the Academy and what you feel that you will add to the Academy
- A 1- to 2-page supplement documenting your excellence in medical education—this could include quantitative evaluations, as well as excerpts from narrative teaching evaluations (please do not include individual notes/letters from students)
Please complete the application as a 12 pt, single-spaced document with 1-inch margins and submit as a PDF to Wanda O'Connell at email@example.com. Deadline for applications is January 31, 2018; please view the downloadable documents listed below. Please be sure to first 'Save As' the Application Word document before editing.