Administrative Fellowship Program
About the Program
Columbia University is a member of the National Council on Administrative Fellowships (NCAF), a collaboration of leading administrative fellowship sites and graduate health management programs, to improve the application process and fellowship experience. Columbia University is a leader in moving the healthcare field forward. That is why we have decided to participate in the National Administration Fellowship Centralized Application Service (NAFCAS). NAFCAS is the inaugural centralized application services for administrative fellowships. In order to create a fair and equitable application experience, we have agreed to comply with the Code of Good Practice application dates set by the National Council on Administrative Fellowships (NCAF).
The application process beings on June 10, 2020 and closes on October 1, 2020.
The Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons is invested in creating successful leadership pipelines for graduate students interested in the healthcare field. Ensuring highly qualified students continue to apply to administrative fellowships is a shared responsibility, and that is why we are a member of the National Council on Administrative Fellowships (NCAF).
The Administrative Fellowship Program is a 12-month program designed for individuals seeking to prepare for a career in healthcare management and to assume leadership positions in the healthcare delivery system. The program is open to students who have successfully completed an accredited Master's Program in Health Administration, Business Administration or Public Health within 12 months prior to the program’s start date. The purpose of the fellowship is to provide an introduction to the daily activities of the Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons from the perspective of top management.
The Fellowship is tailored to the interests and professional needs of the student, taking into account previous experience and areas of interest. It is structured to provide experiential learning in an academic medical center environment within a Clinical, Basic Science Department or Institute/Center for a period of 12 months.
The objectives of the administrative fellowship include the following:
- To observe and study the role, function and style of top management individuals
- To understand the goals and planning process of the organization and how they are determined, and to understand the priorities of the organization and how and why they were selected
- To analyze the decision-making process at different levels of the organization
- To understand the dynamics of relationships between various stakeholders
- To obtain an understanding of the operational effectiveness of the organization
- To enhance the student's understanding of the health care industry, the organization's strategy and distinctive competencies
- To provide an environment to enhance their understanding of, and the controlled application and testing of, skills, theories and concepts presented during the academic year
- To strengthen the student's judgment, decisiveness and related administrative skills in a healthcare environment
- To provide a basis for developing a code of ethics, philosophy, and a dedication to high ideals and standards of healthcare management
- To provide an opportunity to evaluate the student in relation to his/her needs for professional development and potential for a career in healthcare management
Structure of the Fellowship
The Administrative Fellow will begin with a comprehensive orientation to the organization focusing on the mission, vision and strategic goals for the school. Each fellow will work with the Department Administrator of each department that will act as the preceptor for the duration of the fellowship.
2. Projects & Rotations
A major component of the Fellowship will be assigned rotations and projects. Fellows will have the opportunity to work with a number of divisions within a Department or varying Departments during the program period. Fellows will be given detailed projects designed to give practical experience at various administrative levels. These projects may include assisting in the preparation of the annual budget, the collection of data to analyze problems of high organizational priority, or participation in strategic planning efforts.
Assigned rotations and projects are based on the needs of the Department and vary from year to year, below is a sample:
Rotations and Project Examples
- Introduction to CUIMC & Department, training on appropriate systems (Finance, HR, etc.)
- August - September
- Practice Operations: Operations day-to-day, Physician Interaction, Reception, Clinical Responsibilities, Patient Flow, Filling in for Staff, Process Redesign. Customer Service, Patient and Staff Satisfaction
- October - November
- Revenue Cycle: Billing, Systems, EMR, Process from the call to charge capture to transmission of payment to appeal, fee schedules, office vs facility billing and attendant complications
- Finance: 2nd quarter close
- Compliance: Documentation, MD and staff education
- IT projects: Population health and patient generated data
- February - March
- Finance: Upcoming year budget, reporting, accounting, projects
- April - May
- Human Resources: Position requests, Onboarding activities, Hiring Process, Employee Relations, Corrective Action, Labor Law
- Strategic and Business Planning
- Senior Leadership: Introduction, Potential Projects in Service Lines NYP
3. Meetings and Evaluation
Regular meetings will be scheduled with the Department Administrator to discuss independentprojects concurrent with above rotations. Fellows will be evaluated periodically to ensure consistentfeedback and mentorship.
Administrative Fellows will be paid at the minimum rate of the Administrative Officer grade 103 twice monthly, once on the 15th of each month and again on the last day of the month for the duration of the program. In addition to compensation, Administrative Fellows will be eligible for a comprehensive benefit package.
The Fellowship is expected to run for 12 months from Tuesday, July 6, 2021 through Thursday, June 30, 2022. Arrangements for the yearlong schedule will be developed between the Dean’s Office within the Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons and the participating Departments.
Examples of Departments that have participated in the past include the Vice Dean of Administration, Medicine, Neurology, Orthopedic Surgery, Urology, Radiology, Faculty Practice Organization (ColumbiaDoctors), and the Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons Human Resources.
How to Apply
Individuals who have successfully completed an accredited Master's program in Health Administration, Business Administration or Public Health within 12 months prior to the program's start date are eligible to apply. Individuals who have completed the didactic portion of their degree and are required to complete a residency or fellowship prior to degree conferral may also apply.
To apply, please complete the following steps:
Complete the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Administrative Residency application. This is to be completed online via the Careers at Columbia Website by searching for requisition number 508526, or using the link below:
Complete Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons Administrative Resident application and upload all supporting materials listed below to the NAFCAS portal:
- Upload in the Documents section a one-page Cover Letter expressing interest in the fellowship
- Upload in the Documents section a Personal Statement
- Upload in the Documents section your Current Resume
- Upload in the Documents section a Writing Sample of your choice: 3pg minimum - 4pg maximum (not including citations), in APA format with Times New Roman font
- Upload your Undergraduate Transcripts in the Documents section
- Request and complete three (3) signed Letters of Recommendation through the NAFCAS portal. One to two letters should be from graduate school professors and at least one from an employer, if possible.
Have your Official Graduate School Transcripts mailed to NAFCAS.
To be considered, all applicants must apply through both sites. All requirements must be completed/received by Thursday, October 1, 2020.
Please note: applicants who advance to the onsite interview are responsible for travel and lodging at their own expense.
One Applicant will be selected by each participating Department. If you have any questions regarding application requirements, please refer to our frequently asked questions and contact information sections below.
If you are not able to provide one letter of recommendation from an employer, please submit another letter of recommendation from a graduate school professor.
You may upload a copy of your Undergraduate transcripts through NAFCAS. Your official Graduate School Transcripts must be requested through your school’s Registrar Office and mailed to NAFCAS.
The Writing Sample is required to be 3pg minimum – 4pg maximum, not including citations in APA format with Times New Roman font. The topic or subject of your Writing Sample is of your choice.
Application documents cannot be provided to applicants during the application process. All submitted documents should be unique and original to the candidate.
The NAFCAS site will notify you when your application has been submitted.
The Administrative Fellow will be paid at the minimum rate of the Administrative Officer grade 103. He/she will be paid $2,437.50 twice monthly for the duration of the program.
What if I obtain my Master’s Degree in Health Administration, Business Administration or Public Health more than 12 months prior to the program’s start date?
Only applicants who have successfully completed their Master’s Degree in Health Administration, Business Administration or Public Health less than 12 months prior to the program’s start date (July 6, 2021) are eligible to apply.
Candidates should have completed their Master’s Degree before the programs start date (July 6, 2021). Individuals who will obtain their degree after the programs start date should apply for the next year’s Administrative Fellowship. Individuals who have completed the didactic portion of their degree and are required to complete a residency or fellowship prior to degree conferral may also apply.
The Administrative Fellowship Program is part of the Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons at Columbia University Irving Medical Center. Although Columbia University and New York Presbyterian Hospital are affiliated, they are two separate organizations. The Administrative Fellowship rotations will take place within the Clinical Outpatient Departments / Group Practices or Basic Science Departments and Institutes within the Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons.
The Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons is located at the Columbia University Irving Medical Center Campus, at 630 West 168th Street New York, NY 10032.
Can I pick the Department I would like for the fellowship? Which Departments will participate in the fellowship program?
The Department Administrator determines their finalist and the candidate then identifies if there is a mutual interest. There must be matching interest on both sides, for the Department and the fellowship candidate. Department participation varies from year-to-year and is done on a volunteer basis.
The standard schedule for the Administrative Fellow is 35 hours a week, Monday- Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm.
Applicants must complete the Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons Administrative Fellowship application online, as well as on the NAFCAS portal. On our internal online application, please upload your Resume and Cover Letter. You can go to the online application, or search by the requisition number 508526.
The College of Physicians & Surgeons will consider complete applications from all qualified applicants. If you are an international applicant, please be aware that it will be your responsibility to complete all required documentation for an international visa if selected for the Fellowship position. Although we are not able to sponsor an employment visa for the fellowship position, candidates who have OPT (Optional Practical Training) are eligible to apply.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact us by email at email@example.com.